Friday, August 28, 2009

Norway in a Nutshell

Quick post tonight as I'm fighting a cold and need to get some sleep. Apparently Mount Ulriken isn't finished with me yet...

We've spent the last 2 days doing the "Norway in a Nutshell" tours through the Norwegian Fjords. I probably would have been content sitting in a concrete bunker as long as I was dry and warm. I'm actually relishing that experience as a fond memory already, but it has definitely taught me to appreciate such basic comforts, and there have been moments since then when I've cracked a smile just realizing how comfortable I am right then. If you are warm and dry while reading this, take a moment to experience some gratitude for it. It's such a huge privilege, one that I'm sure millions in the world don't always count on.

Ok, back to Norway. The Norwegian Fjords are world famous for the natural beauty. I just learned that National Geographic has them listed at the top of the travel destinations, ahead of the pyramids, Great Wall, and Grand Canyon. Our first day was a bus ride to Norheimsund, 2 boat rides on the Hardinger Fjord, and another buss ride to Voss for an overnight stop. The scenery was very nice, don't get me wrong, but I was left somewhat underwhelmed. John and I just chalked it up to being from the Canadian Rockies and conceded that this would be incredible for people who didn't live near something like this.

That changed on day 2 when we went on to Sognefjord and I had my socks knocked off. We started off with a bus ride to Gudvangen. The scenery was very nice, nice enough to keep me up despite being tired. But then we hit the valley, marked by a sign saying 18% grade! To put that in perspective, anything around 9% usually has runaway ramps in Canada. It was 2 bus lengths forward, 180 degree turn, rinse and repeat, the whole way down. And the views were absolutely stunning. I don't know how else to describe it. By the time we got to the valley floor, I was literally speechless and just sat there in silent amazement for several minutes.

I could try to describe it more or post some pictures, but you know it wouldn't do it justice. I will eventually, but for now, about the best picture I can give is that it was like a combination of the Rockies and the rainy sides of the Hawai Islands.

We are in Oslo now for our last full day. 5 weeks has gone by fast.

1 comment:

  1. Scandanavia is on my to do list. You've helped bump it up a few notches on the priority list. You must be back in Calgary by now?

    Jason

    ReplyDelete